Click the image below to view and download the trail map:
Mt. Holly Sanctuary is named for Jonah Holly, the first settler of the area, whose descendants farmed here from 1795. All but the steepest parts of the sanctuary were used as pastureland until the early 20th century. The Nature Conservancy, assisted by local residents, purchased this 209-acre property from the estate of Edward A. Norman in 1975. Mt. Holly Sanctuary’s rugged outcrops of bedrock rise to 621 feet, cradling a mixed deciduous forest of chestnut oak, black oak, and red oak.
Highlights: Extensive variety of terrain, habitat and hardwood forest dominated by oak and black birch, sweet pepperbush, swamp azalea, and blueberry in the wetland, pileated woodpeckers in the sugar maple grove, large rock outcroppings, stone walls throughout and an old barn foundation close to Todd Road. For easy connections to Indian Brook Assemblage, on the east side of Mt. Holly Road, see map.
Directions: The sanctuary, located partly in the town of Bedford, is on the west side of Mt. Holly Road, .6 mi. south of Todd Road, across from the intersection with Holly Hill Lane. There is a parking area at the entrance.